“God doesn’t use perfect pictures. He uses broken people” – Carey Nieuwhof
- Noah got drunk and partied naked after God delivered him and his family from death.
- Moses came into ministry after he murdered someone.
- Jacob raised perhaps the most dysfunctional family imaginable.
- Judah slept with his daughter-in-law only because he mistook her for a prostitute.
- David was a fantastic king. And then he saw Bathsheba.
- Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived in Old Testament times but really struggled with sex. And God. And cynicism.
- Elijah saw one of the most powerful displays of God’s power in history, and then promptly fell into a self-pitying depression.
- Jonah ran away from God again, and again, and again.
- Peter denied Jesus.
- Thomas doubted even when he saw Jesus with his own eyes.
- Paul was a little insecure (just read 2 Corinthians).
- The early church as described in Corinthians is a study of dysfunction.
- Early Christians stopped believing in the resurrection (Read 1 Corinthians 15).
Don’t get me wrong, none of this is an excuse to start sinning. God use broken people because those are pretty much the only people he has. Christ is perfect. We get to partner with Him.